Reports to: Regional Financial Controller
Direct reports: Financial Officer and Administration Managers (FOAMs); Financial Assistants (FAs); Financial and Administration Officers (FAOs)
Duties and Responsibilities
Accountability for the financial management, analysis, and reporting of the 9 countries in Central, Eastern & Southern Africa region.
• Ensure that programmes and operational Budgets for the region are prepared and consolidated in a timely manner
• Prepare and manage the RO budget and expenses
• Estimate operational costs of donor money and consolidates the data into a budget in proposals.
• Identifies and analyses differences between planned and actual financial progress in programs and operational costs
• Provide technical advice to FOAMS and budget holders dealing with financial issues or special projects.
• Monitor and report on utilisation on a regular basis and provide guidance to management on actions to be taken in a timely manner.
• Responsible for the consolidation of financial planning and financial reporting in the region both on program and operational level
• Responsible for timely and appropriate management accounting and reporting of the region
• Timely review of Manuals
Project cycle management
• Maintain and oversee the project cycle and work with Regional Financial Controller to update the system regularly.
• Provide monthly quality management information to the Regional Financial controller
• Liaise with the Head of programs / programs department at regional level on proposal writing budgeting and can delegate this at country level.
• Liaise with Head of Programs for regional programs on key issues and opportunities (to improve), find and implement solutions at the country office level.
• Ensure that annual internal and external audits of the regional office including regional implemented programs, are conducted efficiently, smoothly and timely. Liquidity position:
• Analyses the progress on cash flow and liquidity
• Manages financial resources and matching the needs with the liquidity requirements.
• Acts upon deviation to ensure consistency in the liquidity position
• Monitors the financial progress of programs and operational costs.
• Combines financial data
• Composes/reviews accountability reports to Regional Financial Controller.
• Liaises with Country Managers, when needed, in the various offices
• Monitors the quality of the work and coaches/supports for development of FOAMs, FAs & FAOs.
• Identifies problems and takes action to improve the working environment.
• Performs annual reviews and has frequent meetings and consultation with the team and leads the financial team to perform and deliver effectively and efficiently
• Takes on duties and responsibilities of the FOAM’s at temporary basis where needed and as per management instructions.
Key result areas
• Financial management (which includes budget management, financial planning, monitoring, reporting and Audits)
• Project cycle management
• Performance Management
• Information management
• Coaching and Mentoring
Qualifications and skills needed
• A university degree in Finance or related field and a Professional Accounting Qualification is required.( CPA/ACCA)
• At least 5 years’ experience in managing finance at a senior level with a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
• Knowledge and experience with financial management of large donor funded programmes.
• Knowledge of ICT systems
• Skills to manage financial professionals at a distance and with cultural differences, to influence and to advise Program Managers and to maintain relationships with stakeholders
• Self – driven change agent with team skills and ability to work independently
• Strong analytical, problem solving and financial modeling skills
• Organized, detail oriented and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Interpersonal skills to challenge poor practice constructively and to give direct actionable feedback on control failures.
• An understanding of how to develop strong professional support network in the region.
• Excellent language skills in English and a regional language.
• Good working knowledge of French is essential
• People Skills
• Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking
• Openness and flexibility
• Initiative and pro-activeness
• Focus , reliable and integrity
• Strong influencing skills, sharp business acumen and sound judgment
• Excellent communication skills,
• Affinity with the protestant character of ICCO and Kerk in Actie
• 40 hours a week
• Travel with in the pro